Sunday, September 8, 2019

No, it's not your fault

Yesterday I saw the worst bumper sticker I have ever seen in my life. I was driving down John Street, minding my own business, when I saw a message on the back of a Ford sedan in front of me. It was a plain black rectangular sticker with a message in white script font that said:

If you're not having fun, it's your own fault

What?  Excuse me?  What kind of message is that, to broadcast to everyone that drives a car?  As it turns out, I had just had a rather not-fun night and anticipated a not-fun follow up conversation about it at the end of my drive (nothing dramatic or life-threatening, but something serious and mature).  And certainly I'd had worse days than this, and what if I was following this car on one of those days? Maybe coming from the hospital, or going to the hospital, or coming home from having been let go from my job and panicking about how I would make ends meet, or coming home from the airport where I'd gone to volunteer to help people who had lost everything in the hurricane, or going to the airport to do that?

You never know what people are going through, I thought to this person driving this Ford sedan. You never know what heavy weight anybody is carrying.  How dare you put this message on your car!

It was all I could do not to speed up and crash into them.  I hope somebody with less self-control than I have doesn't do it one day.  But if that does happen, and they don't find that fun, I guess it's their own fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment