Friday, September 23, 2016

Gratitude and Ideas

Yesterday I ran across a post, via a link on Facebook, about setting up a positive morning routine, which is very timely because yesterday (or was it Wednesday) I was plotting out one for myself. (I have found over time that I do best when the routine is fixed, and set in a certain order, because I save time in between activities making decisions about what to do next.)

This post suggested spending some time Free Writing, which is more or less the Morning Pages idea, which I have already been trying to do, although not immediately on waking and while still in bed, because I split my time between my house and my boyfriend's house and often wake up with someone else, and then need to get dressed and get home before I can take on any activities.  I suppose I could probably adjust that, but so far the Breakfast Pages are working well enough.

And also, subpoint, the Morning Pages are more or less a letter to myself, whereas I know that Free Writing is a different thing.  When I have tried free writing in the past, it turns out to be poetry, in the sense that it is all about the sounds of the words, or maybe I should say percussion, because the semantic meaning becomes irrelevant, I just put together strings of consonants and internal rhymes and rhythms.  I should really try that, it's a flow from a different part of the brain.

But beyond the Free Writing/Morning Pages idea, the post also recommended two additional things.  First, they recommended writing a short Gratitude list, a list of things for which one is grateful, as a great way to start the day in positivity and a stance of appreciation to the world.  Three or four or five things, bulleted.  Then, after the Free Writing, they recommended you write a list of 10 Ideas.  They said this helps you become an idea generator.  The author reported that he came up with 10 ideas for Amazon and called and sold them to them, and came up with an idea for an online series of classes and posted then and generated all kinds of leads for his business.  YMMV, as they say.

In fact, I don't think I have any problem with being an Idea Generator.  My problem is probably too many ideas, and a lack of focus and practical action.  "Do the next right thing" is probably better advice for me.

But nonetheless, I wrote out both lists this morning, my Gratitude List and my Idea List.  Gratitude was all about the health and well-being of my immediate family. Probably no surprise there.  I worry about all of them, constantly, but right now, so far so good, knock wood.  The Idea list, I decided to write around the notion of a Feeling of Abundance.  This is another exercise from the Artist's Way book, and her example is to buy oneself a punnet of raspberries, so that's always my go-to accessible luxury, and so item 1 on my list this morning was Raspberries.  But I was surprised how many of the other items had to do with cleaning and sorting and tidying and inventorying what I have.  I spend exactly zero time on this, because it benefits no one but me, being inside of my own home behind closed doors and within these walls, and also because it will bring no immediate profit.  But maybe I should build in some more time for that, especially if it makes me feel more wealthy and secure.

Any other suggestions for things to add to the morning routine, please feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment